Page 1 of 1
Emmelyn trail conditions
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2026 6:11 pm
by Lance
Well, we have Emmelyn booked for three nights starting tonight (03-16-2026). This morning we drove to the winter trailhead to find basically no snow. The road was open to cars beyond the trailhead so we followed it for 1.6 miles until we came to a stream crossing that we couldn’t cross in our car. Since the road beyond the stream crossing was still DIRT we talked about our options and decided to bale out and go to Leadville for brunch. We were basically halfway to the hut from the trailhead and it wasn’t at all clear when or if we would find enough snow to start skinning to the hut. If you’re going to Emmelyn this spring, you might consider hiking boots instead of ski boots and snow shows instead of skis in case you do find snow. I’m not sure where your going park.
Re: Emmelyn trail conditions
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2026 6:55 pm
by aanasa
Just got back from Emmelyn Hut today and OP is correct. We drove the trail in our Tacoma and parked about 2 miles in. hiked up to the hut in hiking boots. Snow is almost all gone. Nothing to ski.
Re: Emmelyn trail conditions
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 2:08 am
by smithcohn12
We had a similar situation there,
wordle unlimitedand with the thin conditions that spring, hiking boots and keeping the skis in the car as a backup would have been the safer choice.
Re: Emmelyn trail conditions
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:01 am
by kaia9087
Lance wrote: ↑Mon Mar 16, 2026 6:11 pm
Well, we have Emmelyn booked for three nights starting tonight (03-16-2026). This morning we drove to the winter trailhead to find basically no snow. The road was open to cars beyond the trailhead so we followed it for
basketball stars1.6 miles until we came to a stream crossing that we couldn’t cross in our car. Since the road beyond the stream crossing was still DIRT we talked about our options and decided to bale out and go to Leadville for brunch. We were basically halfway to the hut from the trailhead and it wasn’t at all clear when or if we would find enough snow to start skinning to the hut. If you’re going to Emmelyn this spring, you might consider hiking boots instead of ski boots and snow shows instead of skis in case you do find snow. I’m not sure where your going park.
Thanks for the heads up, spring conditions can be pretty unpredictable around the huts, so bringing hiking boots and checking the latest trail reports before heading out sounds like a smart plan.
Re: Emmelyn trail conditions
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:25 am
by Morgus
Thanks for sharing these reports. I’m curious about one thing: once you get past the winter trailhead, does the road remain accessible for a reasonable distance before the stream crossing, or does it become difficult to drive even before reaching that point? Also, is there a reliable place to park near the crossing without blocking access for other vehicles? I’m trying to get a better sense of how the approach works when snow coverage is limited, rather than relying on ski conditions alone.