Emmelyn trail conditions

Share route and backcountry conditions at the huts during both summer and winter.
Post Reply
Lance
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2026 5:33 pm

Emmelyn trail conditions

Post by Lance »

Well, we have Emmelyn booked for three nights starting tonight (03-16-2026). This morning we drove to the winter trailhead to find basically no snow. The road was open to cars beyond the trailhead so we followed it for 1.6 miles until we came to a stream crossing that we couldn’t cross in our car. Since the road beyond the stream crossing was still DIRT we talked about our options and decided to bale out and go to Leadville for brunch. We were basically halfway to the hut from the trailhead and it wasn’t at all clear when or if we would find enough snow to start skinning to the hut. If you’re going to Emmelyn this spring, you might consider hiking boots instead of ski boots and snow shows instead of skis in case you do find snow. I’m not sure where your going park.
aanasa
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:19 pm

Re: Emmelyn trail conditions

Post by aanasa »

Just got back from Emmelyn Hut today and OP is correct. We drove the trail in our Tacoma and parked about 2 miles in. hiked up to the hut in hiking boots. Snow is almost all gone. Nothing to ski.
smithcohn12
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 2:03 am

Re: Emmelyn trail conditions

Post by smithcohn12 »

We had a similar situation there, wordle unlimitedand with the thin conditions that spring, hiking boots and keeping the skis in the car as a backup would have been the safer choice.
kaia9087
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2026 1:58 am

Re: Emmelyn trail conditions

Post by kaia9087 »

Lance wrote: ↑Mon Mar 16, 2026 6:11 pm Well, we have Emmelyn booked for three nights starting tonight (03-16-2026). This morning we drove to the winter trailhead to find basically no snow. The road was open to cars beyond the trailhead so we followed it for basketball stars1.6 miles until we came to a stream crossing that we couldn’t cross in our car. Since the road beyond the stream crossing was still DIRT we talked about our options and decided to bale out and go to Leadville for brunch. We were basically halfway to the hut from the trailhead and it wasn’t at all clear when or if we would find enough snow to start skinning to the hut. If you’re going to Emmelyn this spring, you might consider hiking boots instead of ski boots and snow shows instead of skis in case you do find snow. I’m not sure where your going park.
Thanks for the heads up, spring conditions can be pretty unpredictable around the huts, so bringing hiking boots and checking the latest trail reports before heading out sounds like a smart plan.
Post Reply