Benedict Huts - Route Tips 2/2010

Please share your trip reports here.
Suela58

Benedict Huts - Route Tips 2/2010

Post by Suela58 »

Hi, we're planning to hike to Fabi's Hut in Feb. Any suggestions so we don't get lost. I hear that trail markings are down. Thanks for your help!
thehutmeister

Re: Benedict Huts - Route Tips

Post by thehutmeister »

Hi, we are also going to Fabi's in February, I was up there on Friday trying to find the route. While there were no signs to the huts, there were other trail signs and blue diamonds. Starting from the Hunter Creek trail head, you follow that trail to the Hunter Creek Cutoff trail, that is a little over a half mile from the trail head, and well marked with signs for Smuggler Mountain Road, which is where you are heading. Follow the Cutoff trail to another well marked intersection, with a big map by the trail and everything, and take the Smuggler Loop trail, which leads to the road. At the road, there is a sign to Warren Lakes, go that way. I did not get all the way to the huts, but others on the trail said that where you leave the road to the huts is fairly easy to see. The trail was well-packed when I was there Friday.

One thing, there are directions to the hut on hutski.com, but they are basically wrong.

Hope this helps!
Dan.
Suela58

Post by Suela58 »

Dan, the hutmeister.... thanks for responding to moi, Sue "Hut Mama" or Suela58. I'll just follow you.
hutskidotcom

Post by hutskidotcom »

Lou here from Hutski.com, our description was never "basically wrong" but is most certainly difficult to keep edited due to confusing trailheads and drop-off options. More, the designated trail does change a bit on occasion and our map updates have to follow that and are thus behind at times, as are any others. Nonetheless, no matter where the "official" trails are routed, I can guarantee that any version of our maps would have gotten you to the Benedict Huts since we started Hutski.com, and our route descriptions, the same. I've hiked, skied and driven those trails numerous times, as well as researching what 10th Mountain has done with their trail marking. All that goes into our writing.

But writing is open to interpretation, so apologies if our route descriptions were confusing. I just did some work on the map to shift some of the marked trail a few hundred feet, and I did some editing to try and clarify how all the trailheads, roads and foot-trails work for these huts. I hope that helps. If not, well, let us know and we'll keep doing our best!

Updated HutSki stuff is here: http://hutski.com/hut-routes/benedict-h ... edict.html

Lou